CULTURE

Municipal Conservatory of Lamia

The Municipal Conservatory of Lamia was founded in 1938 as a branch of the National Conservatory of Athens with the great director the great composer Manolis Kalomiris and is the fifth in a row to be established in Greece. Initially, the schools that operated were few and the attendance of students was small. In 1959 Alexandros Anian took over the management of the Conservatory, upgrading it significantly, especially with the promotion of the Municipal Choir of Lamia, which won awards and distinctions in Europe. After a period of recession, with a decision of the Municipality of Lamia city, in the last 10 years the Municipal Conservatory of Lamia is strengthened morally and financially resulting in its expansion and quality development.Its upward trend is evident today from the high level of education offered by the forty-five (45) renowned music educators to their 650 students. The successful realization of its goals, the D.OL. relies on the responsibility, ability and specialization of its collaborators, who impart to their students knowledge and love for music. The result of these efforts is the awarding of diplomas by committees composed of highly prestigious artistic personalities, the participation of students-graduates in Panhellenic and International competitions with great success (awards-honorary distinctions), the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.The successful realization of its goals, the D.OL. relies on the responsibility, ability and specialization of its collaborators, who impart to their students knowledge and love for music. The result of these efforts is the awarding of diplomas by committees composed of highly prestigious artistic personalities, the participation of students-graduates in Panhellenic and International competitions with great success (awards-honorary distinctions), the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.The successful realization of its goals, the D.OL. relies on the responsibility, ability and specialization of its collaborators, who impart to their students knowledge and love for music. The result of these efforts is the awarding of diplomas by committees composed of highly prestigious artistic personalities, the participation of students-graduates in Panhellenic and International competitions with great success (awards-honorary distinctions), the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.who impart to their students knowledge and love for music. The result of these efforts is the awarding of diplomas by committees composed of highly prestigious artistic personalities, the participation of students-graduates in Panhellenic and International competitions with great success (awards-honorary distinctions), the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.who impart to their students knowledge and love for music. The result of these efforts is the awarding of diplomas by committees composed of highly prestigious artistic personalities, the participation of students-graduates in Panhellenic and International competitions with great success (awards-honorary distinctions), the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of musical ensembles and the establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.the establishment of an 80-member Children’s Choir, the establishment of musical ensembles and the establishment of a Student Symphony Orchestra. At the same time, seminars are organized in which distinguished Greek and foreign artists teach.

The D.O.L. currently provides a wide range of music studies covering the teaching of all instruments (classical and traditional), advanced Theory, Monody and Music Education. As part of the intervention exercised by the Municipality, there is a Music Education Department for children with special needs at the Conservatory, an experimental program in Conservatory education since 1994 for the first time in Greece. The aim of the program is to alleviate social and educational exclusion through music. 40 students from the two special schools of the city participate in it. The D.O.L. gives special importance to its pedagogical department which supports the staff with seminars around the modern currents of pedagogy and helps to improve the communication between teachers, students and parents.In an effort for a greater cultural offer, D.O.L. presents every year a rich program of artistic events. The Municipal Conservatory of Lamia is a Legal Entity under Public Law. It is governed by a 7-member Council chaired by the Mayor of Lamia

 

Municipal Regional Theater of Roumeli (DI.PE.THER)

In 1910, on the initiative of Odysseus Panos, the construction of the old Municipal Theater began, opposite the current one, next to the High School, where today the summer Municipal Stage, an initiative that did not succeed. New initiative of the mayor I. Makropoulou, in 1929, without a happy ending In 1938, with N. Doudoumopoulos as mayor this time, it was decided to complete the theater, but now it was the turn of the declaration of World War II to cancel the completion of this effort as well. July 1956 and the elected mayor I. Papassiopoulos invites the Lamian architect Kimonas Laskaris. A Legal Entity is created, the “Municipal Theater of Lamia” and in August 1957, after the project is assigned to Kimonas Laskaris, the construction is decided in the current space. On 4 January 1959,The foundation of the first post-war theater in Greece, that of the Municipal Theater of Lamia. In the autumn of 1961, the first Board of Directors was elected, which hired Costas Liaskas as curator of the Municipal Theater. (He is the one who seals from now on the successful course of the Municipal Theater until his retirement). Finally, on December 3, 1961, in the presence of the Minister of National Education and Religions, Grigoris Kasimatis, the inauguration of his operation took place with the play “The Secret of Countess Valairena” starring the great Kyveli and the then Royal Theater.(He is the one who seals from now on the successful course of the Municipal Theater until his retirement). Finally, on December 3, 1961, in the presence of the Minister of National Education and Religions, Grigoris Kasimatis, the inauguration of his operation took place with the play “The Secret of Countess Valairena” starring the great Kyveli and the then Royal Theater.(He is the one who seals from now on the successful course of the Municipal Theater until his retirement). Finally, on December 3, 1961, in the presence of the Minister of National Education and Religions, Grigoris Kasimatis, the inauguration of its operation takes place with the play “The Secret of Countess Valairena” starring the great Kyveli and the then Royal Theater.

The Municipal Theater is free everywhere and is enclosed by the streets Ypsilanti Agnostou Stratioti – Electra – Homer and occupies an area of ​​980 sq.m., while its total volume is 12,800 sq.m. It has a foyer, canteen, dressing room. It has 444 comfortable and modern seats in the square, while it has an additional 261 seats in the amphitheater (balcony) in total, ie it has 705 seats. In the basement there is an Art Gallery for art events, painting exhibitions, etc. The stage of the theater is well equipped, with great comfort, has a movable floor and a basement for preparation – placement of stages. It has a number of auxiliary “elements”, headlights, ramps, etc. while it has a complete system of air conditioning installations.In 1979-80 it hosted the Open Popular University of the Municipality founded by the mayor Antonis Filis and taught by great university teachers. The city of Lamia is fortunate to have today a very remarkable building theatrical infrastructure.

 

Panhellenic Exhibition of Lamia (PEL)

 

The idea of ​​creating a modern form of promotion of the products of the Prefecture in replacement of the spring trade fair of May falls as an idea at the General Assembly of the Commercial Association in March 1958. There were reactions and the issue froze. However, he returned to the General Assembly of the Commercial Association in April 1961 and it was decided to take coordinated actions to the Prefect, the Municipality and the Ministry of Commerce to abolish the May trade fair and replace it with the operation of a modern exhibition. Following the consent of the Municipal Council of Lamia and a proposal of the Prefecture to the Ministry of Commerce, a decree was issued in 1962 abolishing the May trade fair. After this Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Commercial Association of Lamia,the Federation of Craftsmen, politicians and officials begin coordinated actions and meetings for the establishment and operation in Lamia in the month of May a modern form of promotion of the products of the Prefecture. In 1966 a meeting was held at the Prefecture with the participation of all Commercial Organizations, associations and politicians and it was decided to operate in May 1967 an agricultural exhibition in a private area under the supervision and supervision of the Department of Agriculture and the Prefecture. In 1967, the 1st agricultural exhibition in a rented space in the northern part of the city is inaugurated, in which exhibitors from all over Greece participate. In 1970, this area was purchased, in which today the PEL of 167,000 sq.m. from the Prefectural Fund of Fthiotida and in 1974 the 8th period of P.E.L. operates in the current space.In 1977 the ownership of this space is transferred to the Administration of the legal entity of P.EL. A milestone for the Exhibition was the establishment of the same legal entity with Law 2114/75 and under the supervision of the Ministry of Commerce. Since then, the Exhibition operates, is modernized and in 1988 the construction of the three (3) covered exhibition spaces of 2,700 sq.m. each, which to date have not been perfected, but operate within tolerable margins. The P.E.L. is a lever of development of the Prefecture and aspires every year that will pass to offer its best services to the exhibitors, but also to its visitors.is modernized and in 1988 the construction of the three (3) covered exhibition spaces of 2,700 sq.m. each, which to date have not been perfected, but operate within tolerable margins. The P.E.L. is a lever of development of the Prefecture and aspires every year that will pass to offer its best services to the exhibitors, but also to its visitors.is modernized and in 1988 the construction of the three (3) covered exhibition spaces of 2,700 sq.m. each, which to date have not been perfected, but operate within tolerable margins. The P.E.L. is a lever of development of the Prefecture and aspires every year that will pass to offer its best services to the exhibitors, but also to its visitors.

 

Municipal Art Gallery

 

It was founded in 1984 and belongs to the Municipality of Lamia. Art exhibitions of Lamioti and others are held, as well as exhibitions of related content. It has a rich collection of works by occasional exhibitors. It mainly has a rich collection of works by the great Aleko Kontopoulos, as well as by K. Kornarakis. From time to time he contributes to the publication of Books (Kontopoulos, Kagaras, Simos, Tsaras, Kontogiannis, Ecclesiastical relics of Fthiotida etc.), Silkscreens (Kontopoulos, Kagaras, Simos, Sarafianos, Tsaras) but also Albums. Private Collections in Lamia are by A. Platis (ceramics, books, manuscripts, photographs) by A. Kounoupis (ceramics, sculptures, jewelry, folk art items, weapons of 1821) etc.

Archaeological Museum

 

 The Archaeological Museum of Lamia is housed on the first floor of the Barracks located at the Archaeological Site of the Castle. It was built in the time of Otto and continued to be used for military purposes until World War II. In 1973 the site and the building were handed over from the Ministry of National Defense to the Ministry of Culture. In 1984 the Municipality of Lamia undertook the repair of the building for the housing of the Archive Museum, which was inaugurated on September 25, 1994. Because the building is preserved, it cannot be extended.

The collections it includes are: Neolithic unit (6500 – 3700 BC) Early Helladic unit (3700 – 2100 BC) Middle Helladic unit (2100/1900 – 1600 BC) Late Helladic (Mycenaean – Sub-Mycenaean) unit (1600 – 11th century BC) Early Iron Age Unit (Geometric) (10th – 8th century BC) Archaic Unit – Sanctuary (7th – 6th century – early 5th century BC) Classical – Hellenistic (ceramic – figurines – glass) (5th – 2nd century BC) Classical – Hellenistic (metal – types of tombs – child) (5th – 2nd century BC) Hellenistic (home architecture-utensils) (3rd – 2nd century BC. ) Hellenistic (gold) (3rd – 2nd century BC) Economy (coins – weights – preferential forms) Sculpture (4th century BC – 2nd century AD)

Folklore Museum

 

The Folklore Museum of Fthiotida was founded in 1984 and is a legal entity under public law of the Municipality of Lamia. Its creation is the culmination of a long-term effort of the Landscaping Cultural Association of Women of Lamia that sought and collected folklore material since 1976. Then it offered this first and basic collection to the Municipality of Lamia with the obligation to set up an organization that will collection, classification, preservation and exhibition of the material remnants of the traditional culture of the area, which after the decade 1940-1950 had begun to be rapidly established throughout Greece. In the first years of its operation, the museum was housed in a building on Makropoulou Street,where during the Turkish occupation the municipal baths were and which was reconstructed with a donation of Elias Theodosiou at the urging of the Metropolitan of Fthiotida Damaskinos. Initially, his activities were mainly aimed at an intensive collection policy, as the acquisition of material came mostly from donations. The voluntary contribution of the women of the landscaping club was the element that kept this organization alive. In fact, the museum owes its existence to all these people who managed with their passion to get rid of every traditional object.The voluntary contribution of the women of the landscaping club was the element that kept this organization alive. In fact, the museum owes its existence to all these people who managed with their passion to get rid of every traditional object.The voluntary contribution of the women of the landscaping club was the element that kept this organization alive. In fact, the museum owes its existence to all these people who managed with their passion to get rid of every traditional object.

Today, the museum is housed in a newly built building of the Municipality of Lamia, next to a historic town square, Laou Square at 6 Kalyva Bakogianni Street. According to oral testimony, this was the inn where the hero of the Revolution Athanasios was imprisoned and tortured. Deacon. In its two exhibition floors, through the 1200 objects, images and representations are revealed with themes such as handicraft production and traditional professions, agricultural production processes, animal husbandry, textiles, the house with utensils and furniture, clothing with tools. and creations, while its monetary department will soon be operational. On the third floor, in the meeting room, there is a small library with mainly folklore and historical titles. With the relocation and re-exhibition of the collection,on 3/5/2003 a new period began during which the museum began to develop activities with an educational character. Participates in the institution of European Cultural Heritage Days, in the educational cultural network of the Ministry of Culture that is active in matters of education and modern Greek cultural heritage, organizes seminars on museum education and folk culture issues, as well as various other events such as traditional flavors .. in Lamia¨ with the partnership of 15 cultural associations of the area. This is, after all, the definition of a modern museum. Refers to an institution that collects, protects and exhibits the material evidence of man and his environment for the purpose of learning, education and entertainment,major issues that arose in the 20th century and dictated new choices in the tactics followed until then by museums.

Public Central Library of Lamia

 

At the beginning it functioned as the core of the Municipal Library and the next year it became a Public Library (N.P.D.D) with the Ministry of National Education and Religions as the head authority. Since then it operates in accordance with the provisions of a.n. 1362/1949 “on the establishment, reconstruction and unified organization of Libraries throughout the state”. In 1979 it became Central and acquired a MOBILE LIBRARY which serves 120 lending centers in the Prefecture of Fthiotida. In 1996 the Library was relocated to the 1st floor of the Trakei Bequest on Ainianon Street. Today it numbers about 55,000 volumes of books and its collections cover the whole range of knowledge, regularly enriched with new publications to meet the needs of readers.